Friday, March 11, 2011

The Ebb and Flow of Life - Reality Check- The Gift

Spring is coming! The bulbs are peeking through the earth waiting to show their finery. I love Spring. The flowers do it for me. Have lots of bulbs so hope they all bloom.
One never knows what is around the corner. Daffodils are a symbol of healing for me as when I first discovered I had Multiple Myeloma, I told the doctors that when the daffodils bloomed I would be better. That is the way it happened.
I had another relapse in May of 2009 and by August was again cancer free.
We just went on a wonderful road trip and the whole time I complained of a sore forearm. I suspected that little evil creature - MM - had returned but was not quite sure. I finally had to go and have an x-ray and yes my radius fractured. This came about before I left and I ran into a door but thought no more of it. That nasty little MM had activated and that is where the break occurred. I call the break a gift from God. I do not have symptoms of MM until too late, and I am nearly dead. It is called Non secretory MM and only about 5% of the 1 % mm patients have this it is rare.
Sooo if I did not fracture my arm it probably would have been too late to get treatment. As I have never had Chemotherapy, I have to decide what is best for me. Short compact radiation to the zone, and it should again be gone. As MM never really goes away just goes dormant, we have to be extra careful on how we live, eat and breathe.
I thought I was doing all the things I mention on my website and blog but when I recall the last 5 months I was very careless over taking my supplements on a daily basis. So hopefully lesson learned. I was skating along and now I have been reminded if I wish to stay healthy and alive, I must practice all that I preach, and be especially careful of guarding my body against further insults from the Myeloma.
The doctors are optimistic and also agree my supplements are one of the main reasons I keep my MM from getting away from me.
I have seen a big difference just in the last week, once I saturated my body with the natural supplements. Radiation was slow in getting started due to technical problems at the hospital.
For me the clues of the MM being active are unusual weight gain (I do not overeat and have been eating salads, vegies etc, very little sugar or sweet.) Little nodules that look like baby warts appearing on my arms, legs and body. Last out break the dermatologist told me these were a sign of cancer starting in the body. So you see I had warning and chose to ignore it for a while. No one likes bad news but ignoring it is worse. So will keep you posted on my progress. I am confident in 3 months I will again be MM free or at least tame the beast back into its box. So what I have been expounding is especially true.
Take care all and be well.

3 comments:

  1. Janice... I was surprised to read this, and I want to wish you the very best. You have been so helpful to me and I hope that you get better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I debated about writing this but want honesty in my tips. I messed up and am paying for this but am doing well and soon will again be MM free. MM is always in the body so one has to keep it in jail. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I was diagnosed my sister in law said to a colleague that she didn't know how I'd feel about taking taking all sorts of medication if it turned out to be cancer as I always attempted to keep everything natural. And I know at the time you were diagnosed you were so ill that chemo wasn't a viable option but I still greatly admire your decision to proceed on a natural basis during MM blips. :D

    ReplyDelete