Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The many facets of Multiple Myeloma


I am a end stage Multiple Myeloma Survivor. In 2004 I was given a few weeks to live and my husband told I would probably never leave the hospital. Hmmm. At the time my prognosis was very poor and I was in Renal failure probably from excess calcium leeched from my bones . I am noticing a large increase in young males being diagnosed with this life threatening disease. I think men have a harder time than woman, coping with cancer, let alone facing their mortality in such a rush. I believe if you look into the lives of these men that somewhere along the line either genetics or chemicals triggered this disease. Stress is another factor that sets up this scenario. I HAD a Non secretory form of MM and was told it was maybe harder to treat. There are no cancer markers per se for this, it is almost too late when you are diagnosed as the blood work, with the exception of red and white blood cell decrease, does not show much. I had a 95% plasma cell count, per bone marrow, not good. One has to rely on pain and varied complaints, and hope the doctor does not tell you that your imagination is causing the pain.In the next few days I would like to note my observations and add ways to help with the pain, suffering and self image problems that arise. .Myself I lost 5" of my Thoracic spine and part of my lumbar, I looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I was 5'8" now I am 5'3" I have no waist and also was large in the bust area. All that has settled on my waist and I have rolls that I never had before. It took me a while to figure out what had happened to my body. I was so ill for so long that was a minor concern. I read a blog today about a young man and he was mentioning the loss of his normal body...Boy I can relate and I knew several people like me. I did NOT have any back surgery. I waited till all the lesions were gone and consulted with a neurologist. He told me. "Never let anyone touch your back, you can walk (mostly a few hundred yards without a cane and a walker for long strolls) as you can function." Several people I know of had the disc inserts etc but the material they use, in my humble opinion, is a little toxic. Has not been around long enough. MM patients do not need anything else to lower their immune system.Young Men have a family to fend for and this is another huge stress, often children and others to care for. I was fortunate, that while at the time I was at my worst, and our finances were stretched, but we were able to accommodate our daily life.Some of this applies to all cancers but MM is soooooooo painful and limits your physical abilities, it carries a heavier weight than some other cancers, although the GBM patients, have it worse, I would not want to go that route.We are all travelers on this path and what we can do to help each other is marvelous. When I read the blog Nick today atwww.nvdmyeloma.blogspot.comHe mentioned that he did not believe he was going to die. That is how it was for me, even though several times a week the hospital staff kept telling my husband that he was not preparing me for death. HA!So mental, physical, spiritual aspects of healing are very important in how we do each day. Do I have bad days yes, even though I am cancer free, but NEVER give up. Have a great week. Today I am posting a pic of me in 2006 when I was newly free of MM in my bone marrow but still had spine lesions. I have lost my hair since then and have a new head of hair. Now I AM GRAY!!!! but have a cute hairstyle.






No comments:

Post a Comment