Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Loosing Man's Best Friend and Cancer


Our Faithful companions Left this world yesterday. This is not the best photo but it shows how much they loved each other. Boots the black and white on the Right was put to sleep yesterday and Monty the Blue Heeler Lab, was put to sleep on January 15th. I think Boots missed him too much. Both had cancer. How is it that so many dogs are dying from cancer. In times past the dogs usually died of old age. I partly blame processed dog food. These 2 wonderful dogs lived on 10 acres with thousands of acres behind them. They ran like the wind, were very smart, kind and loving.
When I first was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, in October of 2004, they told my husband I probably would never see Christmas. I was extremely ill. Our dogs were mostly outside dogs till the last 4 years of there life. They were allowed in a warm basement at night and sometimes during the day, in winter had dog mats in the living room. When I came home from the hospital Monty just said to my husband "too bad I am lying by this bed" and so he did a lot of the time, until I was back on my feet. What greater devotion and love can one have. Boots came too but Monty was my rock.
These dogs were both rescue dogs. Monty from the pound when he was about 6months old. He came from a farm and they did not want him. The neighbors, who brought him in, said he would travel 5 miles a day looking for food on the other farms. He was so ill, bleeding from the bowel, slightly aggressive and definately had his own personality. My friend recently described him as a "Cat" personality, he would acknowledge you when he was ready (except for me). We fed him rice and low fat hamburger for many months till he regained his health. He did get accidently poisoned once, while in the orchard. Lost his sight too but natural healing for his liver restored him to health. He was a big dog 85lbs. (No one who came to the pound wanted him, they took a look at those huge feet and said No way!)
Boots was thrown out of a car at the local summer festival and was begging an old lady to take her home, I did no realize that the lady was not the owner till someone nearby said she had been left behind on purpose. The old lady was swatting her and kicking her. We called her over and she just sat on my feet. Who could resist. She ran like the wind and had so many adventures it would be impossible to document. When we had her a couple of years she fell down a gopher hole and had a compound fracture of her right front leg. Many operations and pins later she was restored to us.
Both these dogs had table scraps and supposedly healthy dog food. So why the cancer when they lived such healthy lives. Monty was nearly 14 when he passed and he had cancer and an aneurysm, Boot had a huge liver tumor and was about 12 1/2. I perhaps, looking back, should have fed them more rice and chicken and less commercial dog food.
When I was at the vet several were waiting with similar stories. It is just as important to look after our pets as ourselves. These 2 companions will be sorely missed and it shows we can never give up on our fight for health.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your dogs. I sometimes think it can be hard losing a pet because their quality of life is so dependant on how we treat them and we wonder if we did it right. It sounds like yours had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon, always happy to help. Will look at your link!

    ReplyDelete